California Colleges For International Education
PHONE (818) 882-9931 FAX (818) 882-9837 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
CCIE IS STILL HERE!
Like many organizations within the California community college system, for the past few months, CCIE has been in survival mode. We are in the final stages of becoming a non-profit organization and have introduced a new dues format for our member colleges. This change in status will allow us to seek external funding and support that will then enable us to keep our membership dues as low as possible.
Until we officially become non-profit, your membership dues are the only source of income for CCIE. CCIE is no longer receiving any financial assistance from the Chancellor*s Office. We understand that all the California community colleges are facing a budget crisis, but we urge you to remember CCIE by paying your 2002-2003 dues AND by placing CCIE in your budget for next year.
As of March 1, 2003, we have received dues from the following colleges/districts:
Contra Costra District; Lake Tahoe; Ohlone; Rancho Santiago District; San Diego District; San Diego City; San Diego Mesa; San Diego Mirimar; Santa Rosa; Yosemite District
CCIE gives each of you our sincere thanks for your continued support for CCIE.
BENEFITS OF COLLEGE & DISTRICT CCIE MEMBERSHIP
- Membership in CCIE allows each dues paying institution, (college or district office), to have voting privileges and representation in all CCIE activities.
- Members of full status shall be entitled to:
- ability to vote in all elections and to enjoy other rights and privileges accord to all members
- access of CCIE Website and inclusion of college / institution in Website
- access to a collaborative network of community colleges who are devoted to international / intercultural education
- access to CCIE Annual CEO Global Competence Summit supported by CCLC and AACC (to be held Spring 2004)
- access to CCIE thematic workshops at reduced rates
- access to the CCIE International Negations Modules Project (INMP) and to the UCLA Title VI Community College Leadership Seminars at a reduced rate
- access to technical assistance team on global competence and its development on community college campuses
- eligibility for CCIE faculty and staff grants
- eligibility for CCIE student scholarships
- eligibility for officer positions
- inclusion in CCIE annual reports that documents the individual activities of member colleges and which is shared with colleges and organizations throughout the state and nationally
- inclusion of College in CCIE list-serve
- participate in the annual meeting
- receipt of CCIE glossy paper biannual Newsletter that will include profiles of individual college programs and individuals in the field and highlights of special topics
- receipt of CCIE on-line monthly newsletter
- receipt of the CCIE Reference Manual and quarterly Directory of Study Abroad Programs
- receipt to reports and publications prepared by CCIE experts
- reduced CCIE conference and workshop registration fees
CCIE STUDENT SCHOLARSHIPS/FACULTY GRANTS
Contingent upon receipt of sufficient membership dues, CCIE will hold the Annual CCIE Student Scholarship/Faculty Grants competition this Spring. This competition will only be open to those colleges who are current with their dues. An announcement regarding the competition will be made in early April.
STUDY ABROAD BROCHURE
The Summer 2003 CCIE Study Abroad Brochure is attached to this e-mail. Please review this brochure to make sure that your college is represented. Please send any revisions and/or additions to Rosalind by March 24. This Brochure will be uploaded to the CCIE web-page by the end of March. Inclusion in the web-page will be open only to those colleges who are current with their dues.
CCIE SPRING ANNUAL CONFERENCE
Due to the current budget situation, the CCIE Spring Conference that was scheduled for May 1-3 in Monterey has been postponed. We hope to be able to hold the conference again next year.
FOREIGN LANGUAGE SCHOLARSHIP
The International Education Council, in collaboration with the Chancellor's Office, has established a scholarship program to provide California Community College instructors an opportunity to study world languages and culture abroad. The purpose is to promote cultural exchange and study abroad opportunities; to enhance language teachers' cultural and linguistic competencies; and to strengthen effectiveness of instruction in the classroom. The program has recently expanded to include scholarship opportunities for California Community College administrators involved in International Education.
FACULTY EXCHANGE WANTED!
CCIE frequently gets requests from faculty from overseas institutions who are interested in participating in faculty exchanges with our colleges. The information on these requests is listed below. If your college is interested in pursuing such an exchange, please contact the individual(s) directly.
Faculty Name: Jenny Greaves
College: Falkirk College of Further and Higher Education (located between Glasgow and Edinburgh)
Department: Leisure and Recreation that teaches courses in sport psychology and biomechanics, Sports Development; Sports Management
COAST DISTRICT FII STUDY ABROAD GRANT
The Coast District along with USC Center for Global Studies and CCIE are working on an FII grant to research the current status of study abroad programs for all 108 California Community Colleges. In particular, we are focusing on three areas:
- institutionalization of study abroad at your college/district;
- identification of barriers that prohibit your students from participating in study abroad programs; and
- steps taken at your college to overcome these barriers.
Our research involves learning about the barriers to study abroad from a range of California Community College stakeholders. Surveys will soon be e-mailed to the following individuals at each of the 108 California Community Colleges:
- CEOs of colleges/districts;
- CIOs of colleges/districts; and
- Academic Senate Presidents.
Please encouarge your CEO, CIO and Academic Senate President to complete the survey and promptly return it.
CCIE COLLEGE SPOTLIGHTS
Spotlights on CCIE member colleges will be provided in future Updates. Please send any information that you would like to share about your college, including information on any international guests who have recently visited your college, and related international educational activities to Rosalind.
STUDY ABROAD SCHOLARSHIPS
Please send information if any student received any of the following Study Abroad Scholarships: Gilman Awards; CEA (Cultural Experiences Abroad); or Freeman Scholarships.
For information on these scholarships, contact: email@example.com; www.gowithcea.com/r/secussa-scholar.asp; or www.sit.edu/studyabroad/sit_freeman.html
Please Support CCIE With Your Active Participation!
Rosalind Raby, Ph.D.